Pages

About Me

My photo
I am an aspiring writer living and working in Hull. I working on a novel, as well as writing short stories to keep my writing skills fresh. I decided to start a writing blog to connect with other writers. So please, take a look around and leave some comments - I'd love to read some of your writing blogs too. Nari X

Wednesday 24 November 2010

Role Models and Poetry


I've been writing more of a scene just after the fight scene (there's a fight scene) - Toby, Ryan and Lauren trying to derive meaning from Ryan's bloodstained shirt. I envisage a dialogue perhaps a bit later between Toby and Ryan that will give a bit of back story on Toby. In the past few months I have completely fallen in love with Toby, and he seems to be really fleshing out in my head. I hope it comes across on paper. 


And it's becoming clearer that in this story, Toby becomes a kind of mentor character for Ryan. I was speaking with Rob the other day, and he was putting me on the spot, asking delving questions as he does. It's a brilliant excercise, and as much as I snap at him for it, I love him for it. Because it makes me pull out the raw, unprotected and fleshy thoughts, ideals and themes that sew together what I write. He asked me what I thought the strongest theme was in my book. I stuttered, but as I spoke, I said something along the lines of, '...that age where you're working out who you are, not just in a cliched sense, but how you are defined...the way we relate to each other, the people we allow to have influence in our lives, the relationships that are good for us and the ones that aren't. The people we love anyway.' 

I've been thinking a lot about role models and whether we choose them or they choose us. You don't choose to be somebody's mentor, it just happens. At any given point, you could be influencing somebody's life. We very rarely know if we are a mentor to somebody, so don't you think we should think carefully about the way we relate to each other?
So these thoughts are what have been influencing my writing of these few scenes and the character developments within them. 

I've been writing some poetry too. It's good for me, I think. Words have started flowing from me like blood from the wounded, tears from the heartbroken. They'll stay hidden, of course. Because I am a person. I am not my suffering. For eyes to see them would be to forget that. 

And while I have had an incredibly tough year, I'd like to think I have still kept my sense of humour. So I will share a single one with you. 

Oh, Twinings, with your milk so fresh,
Your warmth seeps into tired flesh
My hands wrapped round the liquid pause
A porcelain shell
Of sweetened warmth
The sloshing tan gives way to white
An empty cup
It’s time to write.

Also worth mentioning is that I have added a link to the page for my short story 'Sugar Rush' on YouWriteOn.com. I have been reading through it again, and the reviews people have left, and I am itching to edit. Having left it a month or two, the initial hurt I always feel after constructive criticism has been replaced by motivation, as much of what was said I have seen is true. I'm very grateful for the help people have given me. I will be editing bits and pieces of it soon, though obviously, 'CQ' is my main priority. 


And now, role models and tea poetry aside, I have a train ticket to book. I'm going to Doncaster again tomorrow for a literacy and numeracy test at the YMCA, just in case they wish to employ me. Lets hope I can spell and add up. 





4 comments:

  1. Hi - I always like to support my fellow writers! I saw your letter in Writers' Forum and came to have a look - it's cool :-) Will definitely been following you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just noticed your letter in Writers' Forum too!welcome to blog land!

    Julie xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Liz,

    Saw your letter in Writers Forum. There are an amzing number of writing blogs that invite you to write some form of writing, be it poetry or fiction. A weekly prompt is given and then it is up to you as to what you write. One I belong to is www.magpietales.blogspot.com this is a weekly picture prompt but there are many more that give a word prompt.
    It makes sure that you are always writing, all very good practice for the budding author.
    Bests
    Christine

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Smithy :) I appreciate it.
    Hey Julie - thanks for the welcome :) It seems the letter was a good idea!
    Christine - thanks for this, I will have a look, as it sounds very good. Anything to keep the writing flow going :)
    X

    ReplyDelete