Pages

About Me

My photo
I am an aspiring writer living and working in Hull. I working on a novel, as well as writing short stories to keep my writing skills fresh. I decided to start a writing blog to connect with other writers. So please, take a look around and leave some comments - I'd love to read some of your writing blogs too. Nari X

Monday 29 November 2010

Walks in The Snow

The first part of this post I wrote last night, but I never like to actually publish anything I write past about midnight until I've looked over it and edited it. The latter part I've added this afternoon.

"You know those days where you lie in bed at the end of them and just smile? I've had one of those days. The world is draped with fluffy white blankets, snowflakes spiralling their way down from a bright white sky, and clinging to each other as they fall softly to the ground. You can't help but stop and take it all in. I love what snow does to people.

Not always, and not everyone, but I love what I witnessed today; 
neighbourhood kids in the street having a snowball fight, and genuinely having fun, not destroying something. Joining in as we pass.
A giant snowball in the middle of the path, two guys look at each other and before long are rolling it along, making it bigger.
A snow penis blocking someone's doorway...  
A couple of guys playing ice hockey in the street. Never thought I'd see that in Hull.
Parents and their children lobbing snowballs at each other, laughing and enjoying each other's company.

The icing white eradicates the grey beneath, and for a second, you could forget you were in Hull and unemployed. Forget you were anywhere. It’s nice to see people relaxed, having fun. Getting on with each other. I guess you don't see it that much round here. It’s nice to know that in amongst all the troubles and complaints we are so quick to see with the city, there is some real innocence and purity in the place. 

And  in all of this, I think the setting if the final chapter of 'CQ' is coming together... I think November 30th is not going to happen seeing as it is in  two days time. Christmas at the latest. Watch this space. "

I'm going to try and write another 3000 words tonight, amending continuity flaws such as the season and the weather. The story starts in about October, midway through a term, and I don't think the time frame extends as far as midsummer like I seem to imply with some of my later scenes. So it is a winter story, completely opposing my original setting ideas. But I think Winter works, especially with the inspiration of snow all around me.

Before I go, I'd like to say a quick thank you to everyone who saw my letter in Writers' Forum and has come across to say hello. I really appreciate you taking the time, and I've looked through some very interesting blogs. I look forward to getting to know you all over the next few months.



5 comments:

  1. Hi, I saw your letter in writers forum, so thought i say hello. I haven't had anything published...have been writing a book...(thats sounds rubbish doesn't it?) forever..my problems began when I realised the book i'm writing needs one before it! Am throwing myself into my writing, especially as I won't be running as often. My blog is just waffle about well running originally but it seems to be spreading into a wafflefest, So shall be trying to blog occasionally about my writing....as you can tell I waffle too much already..so shall leave you be now, just wanted to say Hi really.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Tor, nice to *meet* you. Sounds like you're at a good point to get a lot of work done. And as for the prequel thing, many of the greats have backtracked and published prequels after their main text, so don't worry too much. But hey, that's something to work towards.
    Nari X

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oooh, I finally mangaged to pick up a copy of Writers' Forum today - will have a look for your letter. Congratulations.

    XX

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the support Suzanne :) I've been following your blog for a while, so I feel quite honoured to see you over here :)
    Nari X

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Nari,

    A little bit of odd fortune made me buy a copy of Writers Forum this morning, and I've just read your letter - so I thought I would follow your blog.

    You may notice my blog is a little...dusty. I lost heart with it a year ago, and this year (when I planned to update it) has been far too difficult to complete. However yours is much better and I will enjoy reading it later, then maybe I will re-do mine.

    ReplyDelete