Pages

About Me

My photo
I am an aspiring writer living and working in Hull. I working on a novel, as well as writing short stories to keep my writing skills fresh. I decided to start a writing blog to connect with other writers. So please, take a look around and leave some comments - I'd love to read some of your writing blogs too. Nari X

Monday 7 March 2011

Living, Observing, Writing.

It has been a while, my friends. Many apologies - life got a hold, I'm afraid. But here I am with tales to tell, and I've had a pretty good week. Rob and I have just got back from our first Youth Group session, to which a grand total of 2 youth turned up. That's a whole 2 more than last time... It's been great though. We had a laugh with them and got into some quite deep discussions, so we have an idea of our game plan for the coming month.

The best picture I can get of my little emo fish.
I want to say quite honestly that I love my job. I know, right, I'm 'just a receptionist'. But I'm really enjoying it. I like knowing what's going on, I like getting to know people and helping them out, and I like that I get to meet so many different people each day. I've been building relationships with people and learning more about the world through them, and that is what living is all about. I'm getting so many opportunities to observe people too, to observe relationships and the way different people relate to each other, and cope in various situations. And, getting to my point, that is all a part of the writing process.

While I haven't been physically writing much, I have picked up on character traits and relationships that are really informing my writing, and I've just been noticing things in people around me that I think could be worth writing about. I know I'm being vague.
I guess what I'm trying to say is that it can be easy as a writer to fall into the desk trap - being sat at a desk with a blank page staring back, forcing yourself to write when it's the last thing you feel like doing. And yes, there needs to be a certain amount of discipline to writing. But we shouldn't be afraid to get out there and live in the world about which we are trying to write. (Of course, different rules apply for fantasy writers, although even then, you still need a good idea of people and how they relate to one another.)

I'm still looking for a job, as this one unfortunately ends in April, and I'm really thinking about the type of place I want to work in. Ideally, I want to work in a sixth form college. And the irritating thing is, I'm pretty sure I was going to be offered a job at a sixth form college, but it was only cleaning and part time. In competition with the Hooper Placement, it just wasn't worth it. But seeing as I'm writing Young Adult Fiction, it would be really good to be working amongst Young Adults. Because I'm getting old. I'm not a teenager anymore, as much as it pains me, and I'm forgetting what it's like. I won't have teenage children for at least another 16 years, so I need to be in a place in which I can observe the behavior of this age group.

I have been typing up a few hastily scrawled scenes, including a dialogue between Ryan (the main character) and his ex, which they started having in my head while I was trying to book a room for someone. No idea where it came from, but I think it will really add to the dynamic of the two of them. We hear so much in Ryan's thoughts and people talking about what Anna is like, but the only time we get to see what she is like with Ryan is that first argument they have. So it will be very revealing to show her trying to win his favour back.

This post has been sat in my drafts for a week or two now, so many apologies. I was informed this morning by way of a very excited phonecall from the lovely Nikki, that I have a letter waiting for me at home, marked with 'Peter. V. Brett' on the front. I screamed just a little bit when she told me. I shall fill you in once I am back in Hull. (I'm currently in Horsham visiting my parents and sorting out wedding stuff.)

As for now, I'm going to have a cup of tea. God bless my wonderful father. 


3 comments:

  1. Glad to see that you are enjoying work and using it as a writing exercise, Nari! I think being a receptionist is an ideal job to people-watch (plus you must get to have your own stationery and possibly write lists too which are both very good things).

    And hey, whether you have two or 200 people in your youth group you can make a difference to them. An eternal difference in fact. (Matt. 25:40)

    (I too have come to the sad realisation that I am no longer a teenager. For my last short story I had to get advice on what kids nowadays get drunk on, apparently it's not barcardi breezer any more.)

    I just googled Peter V Brett. Take it he's a favourite author... I am intrigued to find out why he is writing to you. x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Chloe :) I have to say, I have been aquiring a large amount of elastic bands... They seem to come home on my wrists, where they go after I've dished out the post.
    You are right about the youth group - it's just nice that the three we've got want to keep coming back. And we've been having some good discussions.
    Yeah, he's my favourite fantasy author - give him a look if you're into fantasy. And read on to my next post to see what he had sent me... :)
    Nari X

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Nari.
    Apologies for not getting over here sooner. My last couple of weeks have been spent rewriting my autobiography chapter 1 and the excerpts. I've decided it's now going to be a fictional novel. I've also spent a lot of time on just a couple of short stories.
    Anyway I'm here to check you out and first thing that comes across in this post is your enthusiasm, for work, your interests and life in general. Great to see ... and whilst on the subject of work, never let anyone tell you you're 'just a receptionist'. To put that into context, imagine the place without one.
    I wish you luck on the job front and I don't think you'll have too much bother if you come across in interview the way you come across in your blog.
    I'm interviewing for our place again next week and I consider it a great part of the job.

    ReplyDelete